Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm going about this essentially unused blog, deleting a few entries for the sake of it. I've not set this up to be alerted to anyone's comments. So I missed a couple.

Tom Hart clarifies something about his uploading of Samm Schwartz.

http://comicsnooks.blogspot.com/2008/02/sirks-storeyville-has-been-published.html#comments

Hey! It's back online, here:

http://www.tomhart.net/teaching/ComicArt/sammSchwartz/index.html

Thanks for pointing out it was down. Not sure why, but there it is.

I was more interested in his drawing of a SUIT, actually- the whole thing. The folds and the way it falls on the body. Just gorgeous. Jaime Hernandez is a distant second to this guy. Plus just watch the way the characters move around the picture plane.

Gorgeous!


Suit, not tie. Silly me.
I saw it at "newhatstories", which I gather has long gone out of Tom Hart's ownership. Also, when last I saw it it was posted under a category of "instruction" somehow, which amused me. "Okay, Class, study this Samm Schwartz piece carefully!" But maybe my memory is dodgy.

Looking over the entries for my deletion, I see I first murmored on Tom Hart's post about Samm Schwartz's suit with this:

Samm Schwartz should have died a year or two after Decarlo. He then probably would receive better accolades. As it is, a spin through google shows a smattering of respect for Schwartz, and at times a showing of him as an "Artist's Artist", or more properly "Cartoonist's Cartoonist".

Tom Hart admires his ability to draw a suit. For what was apparently one of the better Archie knock-offs, I assume done in the late 1960s for Tower Comics -- editing the horrible Thunder Agents Comics (only saving grace of which is the good Wally Wood art; the writing is just nonsensical).

Leaving aside his suit-drawing abilities, I have stared at page compositions from the late 1970s and 1980s, I believe inked by somebody who was highly complimentary -- and more than often under one of Frank Doyle's better scripts, with a strange sense of awe as he completely destroyed a page, breaking the fourth wall. There are a few stories I have always wanted to scan and publically dissect.

...............

Looking over this thing, I guess I can spot-light the two items from "Art Out of Time" that drew me in.

http://comicsnooks.blogspot.com/2007/01/wiggle-much.html

I have to point out my reading of "The Wiggle Much" because the editor of the book's interpretation leaned toward the "nonsensical", and I thought it had a definite narrative to it.

http://comicsnooks.blogspot.com/2006/12/gustave-verbecks-12-panel-in-6-panel.html

Gustave Verbeck's 12 panel in 6 panel strips -- a formulastic exercise that baffles me somewhat, found in Art Out of Time, are an endless fascination to me. But what I want to know is -- why would someone put so much work in something that received no credit and in a throw-away-medium?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links

Progressive Ruin

The Comics Curmudgeon

Oddball Comics

Scott Saavedra

Classic Comic Strips

The Comics Reporter

Cartoonists

Sergio Aargones

David B

Peter Bagge

Carl Barks

Lynda Barry

Vaughn Bode

Brian Bolland

Chester Brown

Ed Brubaker

Eddie Campbell

Del Close

Daniel Clowes

Jack Cole

Johnny Craig

Robert Crumb

Jack Davis

Jennifer Daydreamer

Dan Decarlo

Kim Deitch

Evan Dorkin

Julie Doucet

Dennis Eichhorn

Will Eisner

Bill Elder

Bud Fisher

Renee French

Neil Gaiman

Bill Griffith

Milt Gross

Tom Hart

George Herriman

Ben Katchor

Walt Kelly

Jack Kirby

Bernie Krigstein

Harvey Kurtman

Jon Lewis

Jay Lynch

Larry Marder

Sheldon Mayer

Max

David Mazzuchelli

Winsor McCay

Mike Mignolia

Alan Moore

Josh Nuefeld

Harvey Pekar

John Porcellino

Spain Rodriguez

Scott Saavedra

Joe Sacco

EC Segar

Seth

John Severin

Samm Schwartz

John Stanley

Carol Swain

Cliff Sterrett

Jacques Tardi

Ty Templeton

Bill Watterson

Shannon Wheeler

Basil Wolverton

Wally Wood

Jim Woodring

Aleksandar Zograf